It has been a busy few weeks and I didn't get a chance to do much in the way of outdoor photography until we went to the zoo the other day. Here are a few shots from my yard and lots from our trip to the zoo. Hope you enjoy!



















My yard (and sky above)



The St. Louis Zoo
















Those of you that know me well know that I care about the treatment of animals (a lucky few of you have received my "save the manatee" emails!). I have long been aware of the poor treatment of animals in circuses and have chose to avoid circuses at all costs. I have continued to enjoy the zoo though and have always thought that the zoo animals are well cared for. Over the past year I have become more educated about zoos and the treatment of zoo animals - specifically elephants. When I went to the zoo I told myself we would avoid the elephant exhibit because I now know that these animals need far more than any zoo can ever provide in order for them to be healthy. Many elephants have sadly passed away or lived with debilitating conditions due to the confined conditions in which they are kept. As we passed the elephant exhibit with no intention of stopping, we saw two young elephants playing in the water just feet away from the sidewalk. Even though I know how wrong it is for these animals to be in our zoos I could not resist the opportunity to photograph the adorable elephants from just a few feet away. I felt a lot of sadness for them as we walked away. I have written letters/emails to the St. Louis Zoo regarding their elephants (I believe all zoo's should close their elephant exhibits but STL Zoo is "my" zoo so I write to them). If you are interested in campaigning or just a little education on elephants in zoos you can check out this site: http://www.helpelephants.com/








No comments:
Post a Comment